Avocado is known as the health food but can dog eat avocado or not? The answer to this question is not straightforward. All the parts of avocados are not good for dogs as some parts contain persin which is toxic to dogs. Persin can cause severe health issues in dogs and may also lead to death in worst cases.
What Parts of Avocados can a Dog Eat?
Ripe flesh of avocado
Flesh of a properly ripened avocado is the only part that dogs can only eat safely.
Pit or seed of the avocado
Your dog cannot digest the hard pit of the avocado. If ingested, the pit can cause gastric or intestinal blockage. It can also get stuck in the intestinal tract. In such a case, the doctor will have to remove it surgically.
Avocado leaves, stem & skin
All these parts contain persin, which is an antifungal component produced within the plant of avocado. If the dog ingests a large number of leaves, stem, or skin, he will suffer persin poisoning. But chances of this are rare because it will take him to eat a large quantity of these parts. But thankfully, he is a dog and not a goat who will eat the plant.
Raw avocado contains a huge amount of persin, and in case your dog eats even half of the raw avocado, he will suffer food poisoning.
Other dangers of avocado to dogs?
- Too much of avocado may develop pancreatitis in dogs.
- Due to carbohydrate, fat and calorie content, it cannot be given to the dog that requires a low fat diet.
- Some dogs may have gastrointestinal upset, vomiting or diarrhea from over consumption of avocado.
- If your dog is allergic to avocado it may lead to anaphylaxis a life threatening condition.
What should you do if your dog consumes raw avocado or its skin, pit or leaves?
In case he has consumed it in a small quantity observe him for the next 24 hours. If your dog shows the symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea or lack of appetite tale him to the vet instantly.
How to Serve Avocado to Dogs?
If you still wish to share this veggie with your dog here is a safe way:
Method 1: Raw
To serve raw avocado, peel and remove the pit and and cut it into small pieces. You can mix it with your dog food, fruits or give him plain.
Method 2: Homemade avocado guacamole
- Remove the skin and pit of avocado, and put the flesh in the blender and make smooth gauca.
- Add some coconut or olive oil if required.
- Now add dog safe fruits into the guacamole and serve in small amount.
- Always buy properly ripe and organic avocado.
- Never feed your dog store bought guacamole.
- If you have an avocado plant then fence it properly to keep your dog away from it.
If you make any mistakes in feeding avocado to your dog he may suffer life-threatening conditions. Moreover, the nutrients that he may get from avocado are already present in dog food and meat diet. Hence, most of the dog owners prefer not to feed avocado to dogs.